Vince's acting career started by accident. He was enrolled in a drama class in high school due to a registration error. He later attended Louisiana State University.
The imposing actor has largely worked in character roles since his debut in Angel Heart in 1987. Although he started out often playing a stereotypically unintelligent southerner, his roles have been substantially deeper since. He received great critical acclaim for his 1995 appearance in the movie Heavy, playing a lonely overweight cook whose life is brightened when a waitress (Liv Tyler) arrives to work at his restaurant. He has had recurring roles in the television series Murder One, Deadwood and Touching Evil before appearing on House, M.D. For his role as serial killer Clifford Banks on Murder One, he won the 1997 Emmy Award for Outstanding Guest Actor in a Drama Series. This accomplishment was heightened by the competition that year - Ewan McGregor, Alan Arkin, Lou Gossett Jr. and William H. Macy. Since his appearance, he had a recurring role on Infamous and currently has a recurring role as internal affairs officer J.J. LaRoche on The Mentalist with Robin Tunney.
Look for him in the 2011 film Flypaper.
- Appeared with Ethan Embry in The Devil's Candy
- Appeared with Anne Dudek and Michael Weston on Those Who Kill
- Appeared with Robin Tunney in thirteen episodes of The Mentalist
- Appeared with Carla Gallo on Bones
- Appeared with James LeGros on Justified
- Appeared with Sarah Wayne Callies on The Walking Dead
- Appeared with Olivia Wilde and Shohreh Aghdashloo in On the Inside
- Appeared with David Morse in Drive Angry
- Appeared with Jake Weber and Ben Bode on Medium
- Appeared with Melanie Lynskey in Leaves of Grass