Toad egg poisoning is a rare form of toxic exposure. Many toads excrete poisoning, but they are a common delicacy in some Asian countries. Generally speaking, ingesting parts of a poison toad or even the eggs of most toad species is not dangerous as the toxin breaks down with cooking and most toads aren't poisonous. Direct exposure to the skin of a poison toad is almost always the form of transmission.

However, in very rare cases, patients will develop the symptoms of the toad toxin merely by eating eggs. The symptoms are usually non-specific to the condition, but typically involve suppression of autonomic functions such as blood pressure, heart rate and the peripheral nervous system. Symtoms tend to concentrate around the mouth, but can spread to the digestive tract.

A patient will recover with time, but faces life-threatening complications:

Case history at National Institutes of Health

Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.